Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Content in 2009

I generally don't make resolutions for New Years, and this year is the same. At the same time though, I think I like having a word that you want apply to the year.
For 2009 I would like my word to be "content"

At work yesterday I was talking with some women about their homes and one said that she was scheduled to hold Christmas next year. She didn't want to hold the Christmas because her house was basically all white and she didn't want all the kids running around. I don't think I ever want a house that I'm afraid to have friends and family in, for fear of them making a mess.

That made me think about my own house. My house is nice, but it's certainly not perfect. When we moved in there were these rose coloured carpets that were old, worn, stained and ugly in the family room and the master bedroom. All I could think about was replacing those carpets. But we didn't have the money. Now, two and a half years later, we still have those rose carpets and I've decided that I should be content with them.
Those carpets work for us with our two dogs, who always end up bringing in some dirt when they come inside. They work for us when we dog sit for our parent's and have three dogs in the house who track in much more dirt. They work for us when we have friends over, we never have to worry about a stain on the floor, because really the carpet is ugly anyways.

I'm content. I've got a husband, a home, a full time job and I'm able to spend time doing things I love. Life is good. In 2009 I want to be content.

Here's wishing you all will have a good word for 2009.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jules,
    That sounds like a perfectly good word to live by, I might give it a go myself. No worries about anyone making messes anymore. Does that mean I don't have to clean them up either though?

    ReplyDelete